[ale] [OT] Recommendation for Running wire

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sun Dec 12 09:29:23 EST 2010

You can purchase speaker wire as #18 in 100' spools at Frys for $7.
I've bought many spools.  I would prefer #20 or #22 but oddly those are
more expensive than the larger #18.  I don't use any of it for audio :)
Where else can you buy 200' of #18 for $7.  Once you split the zip you
end up with a total of 200'.  Perfect for impromptu antennas.

When houses were built in the 90s and included wires for surround
speakers they used copper.  Copper will still work today but one problem
I have at home is that any long run of any wire (CAT-5 included) turns
into a long-wire antenna and either picks up noise or radiates noise.
Unfortunately it seems that a Cisco 2900 switch is a noisy beast.  In
2010 all of us have more gadgets then we did 10 years ago.  Some of
these gadgets use switching power supplies which radiate noise.

I'm pretty sure Monster sells a shielded speaker wire but it would be
rather expensive.  If you did get noise in the speakers I would use a
couple beads on the speaker wire right before it attaches to the speaker
and the stereo system.  Due to using a HF radio I home a few of my USB
cables have beads.  My USB mouse has 4 large beads!  It was all I could
do to keep it from disconnecting every time I keyed up.