[ale] ReplicatorG On a Stick!

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:38:56 EST 2010

I should've tried Ubuntu, yeah.  But I'm thinkin' about making a 3d
printing puplet.  I found I could load Art Of Illusion (
http://www.artofillusion.org/ ) onto my puppy stick without too much
difficulty.

Getting a Cupcake dialed in is tricky -- there are a large bunch of
parameters in the control software, and out of the box
they're only mostly right. So far my prints are comin' out a little
blobby, which probably means that Cyndi needs some lovin' in this
area.  Official resolutions are about .084 mm horizontal and maybe .33
mm vertical ( http://makerblock.com/2010/02/makerbot-cupcake-cnc-print-resolution/
).  The calibration objects I've been printing come out pretty very
close when I mike 'em though -- usually within .01 mm of nominal in
both horizontal and vertical.

I think the figures you're citing are from earlier generations of the
technology.  I just printed a mounting board for my plastruder
controller which has a hex hole that is supposed to contain an M5 nut.
 The nut has enough clearance in the hole to slide in easily and need
a gentle tap on the table to fall out.  The Cupcake is capable of
making gears that mesh, bearings that turn, and parts that snap-fit
together.  Plus stuff like battery cases that work with standard
batteries. I'm pretty sure that a well-built and tuned Mendel can do
as well or better.

-- CHS