[ale] Value SSDs - price/perf

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:50:49 EST 2010

I've read nothing to imply these value line SSDs are something I'd put
in a server.

Too unreliable, and SSDs can only have so many write cycles in their
entire life, but you say your transaction rate is low, so that may not
matter.

Anyway, I was configuring a server on Dell's site a couple days ago.
I was shocked how much they wanted for a SSD for their servers.

Lets see:
with the Dell PowerEdge M710HD blade, its $1949 to add a 100GB SSD as
a second drive!

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&oc=MLB1908&s=biz
(scroll down to the second HDD area)

You better really want it bad!

(I don't know if that is typical of server SSD cost, or if Dell is gouging.)

Greg