[ale] Value SSDs - price/perf

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Dec 8 18:04:48 EST 2010

I'm thinking of going SSD in our servers.  Is that a bad idea?

40GB is _MORE_ than I'll ever need for our software.

We run a ton of perl and mysql.  The MySQL transactions are very low.
I think my largest database may be 250MB in size and it is 5 years old.

I'm looking at SSD as something that may be more reliable.  Out of all
the servers we've deployed we've had an unusual number of failures.  A
majority of failures took place after FedEx had handled the servers.
So much so,  that our vendor (MBX) started shipping us the drives in
bubble wrap in separate boxes.

Chris