[ale] Truly remote desktop aka terminal services client/server in Linux, Does it exist ?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Aug 30 20:44:23 EDT 2010

On 08/30/2010 01:33 PM, James Sumners wrote:

> As for "console" sessions, well, that is what SSH[2] is for. If you
> don't want to lose your work when you disconnect from your SSH session
> then use screen[3]. SSH int the remote machine, start screen, do your
> work, "detach" from screen and then disconnect from the remote server.
> Next time you reconnect simply re-attach to your old screen session.

For anyone who is looking for an X11 equivalent of screen,

http://code.google.com/p/partiwm/wiki/xpra

The functionality is similar to forwarding X11 over ssh, but it handles
high latency links much, much better. The only feature I wish it
supported that it doesn't is input grabs (e.g. thunderbird prompting for
a password).

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts