[ale] Truly remote desktop aka terminal services client/server in Linux, Does it exist ?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 13:36:46 EDT 2010

you can run your X session with output to a VNC server at the same time.
Look at docs for vnc-server. In Redhat/fedora land, each user can their own
vnc session sharing (until the system runs out of ports!)

for non-X sessions, screen is your tool. screen is the "killer app" for cli
gurus. screen can be shared with other users live in either ro or rw mode.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
<savithari at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Is there truly a Remote Desktop in Linux like the Windoze world ?
>
> What I mean  ?
>
> Option 1:
> =======
> In Windoze world, I can remote desktop to a diff machine and then I can
> work on something say at 11:00 pm
>
> I can then disconnect and then get back to the same window/session at 06:00
> am to see what happened.
>
> Even better if I use the mstsc /console option I go to the console windows.
>
> Option 2:
> =======
>
> In Windoze world, I can use vnc client and connect to a Vnc Server and it
> is the console all the time.
>
> Then I can run something, disconnect and then I can reconnect back later
> and I am on the console again.
>

> Now, on Linux aka *BUNTU* is this even possible at all ?
>
> -Narahari

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.