[ale] how do I boot a Virtualbox vm from a USB HDD

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Fri Aug 20 10:16:29 EDT 2010

Hi guys.  Thanks to James, Tim, and Chris for their replies on this
thread.  I'm amazed at how prolific the people on this list are and how
many messages come through.  I can  barely keep up.  I haven't had any time
to try the tips revealed in the replies, but hope to soon when I can find a
few free hours.  I'll also elaborate more on the nature of my project.  To
answer James' question though, I'm simulating an entire dual boot system
with Ubuntu and Windows, plus data.  My host computer doesn't have enough
hard drive space to store the vm.  I need full access, including booting,
to the external usb drive.  I can and have simply swapped the external
drive into my host laptop as its main drive.  That works fine, but then I
lose access to my host system, its data, and the ability to take screen
shots of the test system from the host.  The best scenario for me is to run
the vm on the host will full and total access to the external drive,
including booting, and data access when the vm os is not running, such as
when the vm has been booted from a backup utility, etc.

Hope this makes any sense whatsoever.  I'll have to work more on it
later.  I'll be glad to share my results.

Ron