[ale] Android Tablets

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Aug 19 20:03:10 EDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 06:51 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> There is no point in trying to get some folks to see reason. They see
> such items as a traditional computer, not as the specialized devices
> that they are.

Your toaster is a specialized device. Your ipad or android tablet is a
computer. I haven't fully thought this through, but I think I like the
distinction made in question #23 of this interview [0]. Is the device
intended to run software, or is that just an implementation detail? If
it's the former, it's a computer, and all the concerns you have about
your traditional computing experience should be applied to it. Now, you
might not have the same concerns as Aaron does, and I think that's fine.
But did you really mean to imply that concerns about DRM are not reasonable?

[0] http://blog.reddit.com/2010/07/rms-ama.html

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts