[ale] When I was young

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Aug 18 21:38:35 EDT 2010

I'm late to this one, but I had a lab to teach.

My first (personally owned) computer H-89, with 2 (count 'em) Z-80
eight bit processors at 2 MHz, eventually 64K Ram, 3 100 Kb hard
sectored disks, tape interface (used twice). You could get a hard disk
with a _whopping_ 5 Meg capacity for $2K (as I remember). Built the
thing myself and still had it last some 10 years. Ran CP/M.

With regard to OS's of the past, did anybody here use the Heath DOS
(HDOS?)? I'd like confirmation of my memory that it had dynamically
loaded device drivers (from floppy!) on an 8 bit machine with
48K of Ram.