[ale] When I was young

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 17:12:55 EDT 2010

  On 08/18/2010 04:04 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All those computers came with an enclosure!  How can you call yourself
> an early adopter?
>
> I got my first computer by getting the plans to a radioshack color
> computer and then buying parts from Delta Electronics on Buford
> Highway.  (There also used to be an electronic store across the street
> from Delta where I bought parts, but I don't recall the name.)
>
> I bread boarded the whole thing the winter/spring of '80, but I never
> got it to run. :(    But it was just a fun project to try and build it
> anyway.
This reminds me of my experiment in the early 60's, it wasn't a computer
obviously, but my father had bought a new HiFi Stereo Amp by Bose. It
was when schematics were included and it got my curiosity going. There
was a TV/Electronics shop down the street from my father's office, so
one day he took me there and the owner spent some time explaining the
meaning of the symbols in the schematics as well as interpreting values
and how changing values impacted in sound/performance of the amp. He had
all of the tubes as wells a slew of resistors, capacitors and inductors
that I needed to build my own. He had also had a metal chassis for tubes
that I was able to utilize. It took a while I don't remember how long
but finally got it built. Forgot to mention that he also had the pots
that I need for bal. bass, treble, mid-range and vol. He had also
allowed me to build it at his shop, (he was a friend or patient of my
father) so when done I bought it home, my mother took one look and
thought it was something from some bad SciFi Horror movie. I hooked up
my father's turntable and speakers to it and it played well for about 30
min. The sound was comparable to the Bose, my father thought the bass
was better. After 30 min. we started to smell something burning and
found that some of the wiring under the tubes were actually smoldering.
That was the end of my experimentation for a while.