[ale] All Mail Folder

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 22:10:15 EDT 2010

On 08/12/2010 09:30 PM, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> My understanding is that this is all your mail on Gmail.  Every "folder" is actually a label, not a folder.  Every email you currently have lives in this folder and is presented to you in various ways.
>
> So, I wouldn't delete that folder at Gmail.  The problem if you delete it locally could vary.  If it is local because it's at Gmail, you may delete it all at Gmail.  If some sort of way it's not connected to Gmail itself in some sort of way, I guess theoretically you could delete it, but I still wouldn't do it.  What's one folder?
>
> --j

I get the idea of labels versus folders and that Gmail is just one big
bucket that contains all past and present undeleted mail. Essentially
the labels create virtual folders in that, providing I have my filters
set correctly on gmail I will only see email with the ALE label when I
click on ALE. On Thunderbird the labels show up as folders so if you
have several layers of folders it actually is one label (IE: on T'Bird
ALE appears as a subfolder of Tech from the root of GMAIL, but on gmail
it appears as Tech/ALE)

I have filters on the gmail server to apply the label "Tech/ALE" to all
inbound mail from ale.org as well as bypassing the "Inbox". The desired
behavior is that when I look at my folder list in T'Bird subfolder ALE
is highlighted with the number of new unread messages in parenthesis.
What actually happens is the correct labels do get applied, but when I
look at my "Folder List" only [Gmail]All Mail indicates unread messages
so when I click on the next button it goes to that folder and I have to
go through all new mail. The filtered folders do not give the unread
indication but if I go to it the message(s) are/is there. So in reality
since I do download the messages I have 2 copies of each message. One
copy in the All Mail folder, and one in the after label applied folder.

I believe I have tried both ways on the option of bypassing the Inbox,
but I might try it again. I have found that I have to log out of my
Google account on both Firefox and Thunderbird sometimes for changes to
go into effect.