[ale] LUG at SPSU

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 14:10:57 EDT 2010

I have spoken to students and faculty at SPSU about a LUG.  Apparently
there was one there a couple of years ago, but it fizzled out.  I would
like to get it started again.  From my experience at Lanier Tech I have
some ideas, but I believe that the students at SPSU being more technical
they will demand a higher level of expertise from their LUG.  Along that
train of reasoning I wanted to start a discussion with the ALE group
about some organizational ideas.

I currently know little about the way it functioned in the past.  All I
know is that there was a server that Juniors and Seniors were given
access to.  That seems like a very limiting and potentially stagnating
policy to me.  People of all ages and class rank should have an equal
opportunity to play with Linux in any way they feel, as long as it is
not destructive to any other members or people.

To get the LUG started a member of the IEEE at SPSU suggested I become a
member and then apply for the open computer chair position, or whatever
it called.  Essentially I would be in charge of all IEEE activities
relating to computers or the computer science and IT departments.
Through this position I would be able to start a new LUG.

Like the Lanier Tech LUG, I believe that setting up the SPSU LUG as a
satellite of the ALE LUG would be a great move.  SPSU is close enough to
the Atlanta that some collaboration can occur.
Also convincing the IT department at SPSU to allow for a virtual chair
at the ALE meetings should be easier than it has been at Lanier Tech.

One of the things I would like to approach the college with is setting
up a VPS of some sort on campus.  This would allow members to have their
own Virtual servers to play with.  They can each have a different use.
And maybe to save resources by requiring minimally 3-5 LUG members to
start a VPS sessions with a clearly defined plan of action.

Another option would be to see if SPSU has a Linux Lab.  If not then
push to have one started not just for the LUG, but for general
education.  The LUG could offer free classes or raise money by offering
very cheap classes in Linux.

And like I orchestrated at Lanier Tech, Regular Linux fests and Install
fests would be great to get people involved.  Also Linux troubleshooting
teams.  Maybe having people on a rotating schedule, I do not know if it
should be mandatory for membership to be on the rotation, but it sure
would be fun to do.

And finally some kind of community outreach program that will help to
keep the LUG alive after I graduate in 3-4 years.

Any thoughts and encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Joshua