[ale] WRT54G2 wifi router troubles

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Apr 8 23:13:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:45 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I'm in favor of the "pass-through mode" recommendation, but only if
> the
> equipment in maintained by a technically savvy user. In this
> situation,
> I agree with Jim's comment above. Still, I doubt the list would have
> dumped on the suggestion so hard if the source hadn't been identified
> as
> an MCSE.

I don't know about that.  It is one of those things that you don't do
unless you need to.  That is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Of
course, non-end-to-end connectivity is what I would consider broken, but
it's not really fixable for most people until IPv6 is rolled out.  I
imagine that there will be a decent reduction in 'net traffic since a
lot of NAT traversal mechanisms will no longer be necessary then.  Of
course, that also means that there will be a fair lot of services that
will also no longer be needed on the 'net, since their sole purpose in
life is to get around NATs.

	--- Mike