[ale] Let's Party! (To celebrate computer viruses!)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Sep 23 17:55:37 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 17:50 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I know I've complained about the approach and quality of the FSF's
> campaigns to members of this list before, but this is an instance
> where
> I'll have to defend them. Nowhere on windows7sins.org does it say that
> windows users are sinners.

Think a little less rationally for a moment, and a little more like a
fundamentalist, and read the domain name.

Are you then going to check out the site?  Likely not, at least if some
of the people I know can be considered to be remotely representative.

It would have been more clever, I think, to draw the connection in the
body text, and have a name that wouldn't drive certain subsets of people
away immediately, before even loading the page.  The BadVista campaign
at the very least (for many of the people I know who use it) spurred the
question "why?" when they saw the domain name.  That was effective.

If something is a sin, and you use it, then you must be a sinner.  (Of
course, those would have to be facts in order for the chain to the
conclusion to make sense, but for many people those statements are
interpreted as facts.)

Completely unrelated, every time I hear "Windows 7" lately, I think of
the song 7 from the 90s.  I haven't heard that in ages...

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo