[ale] Need a "back door" for a remote system.

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Oct 15 14:55:10 EDT 2009

I have a remote system that I need to find a failsafe recovery if it
gets in trouble.  The only thing I can do with the system is get the sys
admins to reboot restore the original  firewall if somehow I get locked
out.  Since I run the ssh on an alternate port, that pretty much locks
me out of the system.

I know it's a sloppy way to do things, but I was hoping I use a web
server to reset the ssh port somehow, but Apache is configured without
suexec and it makes sense to leave it that way.

I'm sort of toying with having a cron job running as root and testing to
see if a specific web page has been touched in the last xxx hours and if
not, then reset the sshd_config file to port 22 and restart ssh.  I'll
run a cron job on another system to tickle the other one and if I find
myself locked out, I'll just suspend that tickle for a while.

That's a hack I know, but I'm open to other suggestions.  No cpanel
access (its a real cheap hosting service).  Webmin will not work if the
firewall is reset, etc.

Thanks,
Jim.