[ale] Need a "back door" for a remote system.

Thu Oct 15 15:28:31 EDT 2009

Something I've done in the past is set up a cron job that checks a URL
(like a blog) and if it finds a secret token, it fires up an ssh
reverse tunnel to a box that is always on and I always have access to.
At the time I used my MythTV box.

On 10/15/09, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> I have a remote system that I need to find a failsafe recovery if it
> gets in trouble.  The only thing I can do with the system is get the sys
> admins to reboot restore the original  firewall if somehow I get locked
> out.  Since I run the ssh on an alternate port, that pretty much locks
> me out of the system.
>
> I know it's a sloppy way to do things, but I was hoping I use a web
> server to reset the ssh port somehow, but Apache is configured without
> suexec and it makes sense to leave it that way.
>
> I'm sort of toying with having a cron job running as root and testing to
> see if a specific web page has been touched in the last xxx hours and if
> not, then reset the sshd_config file to port 22 and restart ssh.  I'll
> run a cron job on another system to tickle the other one and if I find
> myself locked out, I'll just suspend that tickle for a while.
>
> That's a hack I know, but I'm open to other suggestions.  No cpanel
> access (its a real cheap hosting service).  Webmin will not work if the
> firewall is reset, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim.

Sent from my mobile device