[ale] Epson CX8400 on Ubuntu

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Nov 30 05:46:20 EST 2009

On Mon November 30 2009, JK wrote:
> Also using Gutenprint here.  Not with any particular intention --
> I just plugged in the printer and let Ubuntu do its thing.

great !
 >  This seems like a pretty weird failure mode, and the
> psychology of it was interesting: I printed the printer's internal
> nozzle-check pattern (consisting of four grids, one in each ink color)
> and it looked fine -- cyan grid, magenta grid, yellow grid -- but I
> completely failed to notice that the black grid was entirely absent!
> After a couple hours of trying to print plain B&W text files from
> various apps, and a lot of blank pages and "*&$^@%$&" kind of language,
> finally I printed a Python buffer from Xemacs, and all the colored
> syntax hi-lighting came thru, but none of the plain black text. This
> was the sharp end of the clue stick. I moved the printer back to the
> XP machine and had the same problem.  So several print-head-cleaning
> cycles later, all is well.

I,uh, <GRIN> had the very same issue not too long ago with my HP all-in-one. I
feel for ya:)
I kept trying to copy a doc in B&W only, and it kept coming out real faint and
ugly... color worked fine....back to the real HP cartridges and all was
well,...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800