[ale] Special effects used while creating a slide show

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Nov 28 07:40:04 EST 2009

My wife received a link to a video that showed a series of still photos
as a video. A slide show, but with an interesting twist.  The slides had
motion, in that there was panning and zooming so it wasn't just a static
display for however many seconds the still was displayed.  The zooming
looked to be the same for each photo, going from 1:1 to 1.4:1 perhaps.
The panning was different, sometimes moving left and down, sometimes
right and up, sometimes just left or right, etc.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of Linux software to accomplish the
same.  I've produced video slide shows before but they've been static.
This effect was a nice feature and I'd like do the same if I could.

When panning it panned across the photo on a black background from a
distance that showed the background on one or more edges.

Any ideas?  I suppose I could write a script to run convert on an image
and create a series of images to turn into a video.

Jim.