[ale] mp3 player

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:11:45 EST 2009

I'll second iriver... I don't know what their current lineup holds,
but I like what I have a great deal. It's about a 5yr old model that
plays mp3 and ogg, and has an FM receiver and a mic. It can record
radio or from the mic to mp3. It only has 256mb storage, but it's
fairly trivial for me to drop what I want on there via standard usb
storage. And I like having a radio. I also chose this model because it
uses AA batteries, so I swap standard rechargables instead of tracking
yet another proprietary cable (an important concern when I go
overseas).

If there was something comparable now I'd get it.

On 11/21/09, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> That method of dropping the firmware in a location that it will be
> recognized on boot is the right method for a vendor to use. That is
> the way that iRiver does it as well.
>
> My dad is a bit of a hot head when it comes to MSFT only requirements.
> It's possible that he didn't research further when he saw the firmware
> updater. However, I suspect that SanDisk has improved the design since
> back when this happened. Maybe buying everyone he could find, writing
> DEFECTIVE BY DESIGN REQUIRES WINDOWS TO UPDATE FIRMWARE on the box
> with a chisel tip marker, then getting a refund had something to do
> with it. Receiving RTMs is very costly.
>
> On 11/21/09, Andrew Grieser <agrieser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 09:07:03AM -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>>> At least in the past the Sansas needed windows to do firmware
>>> upgrades. This especially pissed my dad off when he opened the package
>>> and saw one of those "taped on at the last minute" notices that the
>>> firmware needed to updated before using.
>>
>> Actually, that's not true. By default, when you go to their website it
>> tries
>> to get you to download some windows program to automatically update the
>> firmware, but you don't have to use it. You can just download the
>> firmware,
>> extract it in the player, reboot, and you've got new firmware.
>>
>> I don't think the updates are necessary either, but they usually do offer
>> new functionality. I was pleasantly surprised when I updated and got flac
>> support.
>>

>> Andrew

> Sent from my mobile device
>
> .!# RichardBronosky #!.