[ale] mythtv + xbmc suggestions wanted

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:12:32 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Preston Boyington <preston.lists at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Anyone here using MythTV as the backend with XBMC for the frontend?
> I've seen several references to Mythbuntu and XBMC and believe that will
> be the way I go.
>
> Hardware wise, I really like the Acer Aspire Revo as was featured in the
> Lifehacker article:
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap

My only issue with the ION/Atom machines is their lack of a DVD player,
especially if it is used as a quiet frontend for a big noisy remote backend
server. How do you play rented DVDs in the scenario? There are plenty of
displays that have build-in DVD players, so that is a viable option -- that
might make using the remote control a bit more difficult.

> I'm just not overly confident about adding a USB device for my TV viewing.

I searched the article for "USB,"  and I'm not certain what you mean here.
Use the USB for an external drive, booting, the remote control?