[ale] mythtv + xbmc suggestions wanted

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 16 13:16:51 EST 2009

Preston Boyington wrote:
> Anyone here using MythTV as the backend with XBMC for the frontend?
> I've seen several references to Mythbuntu and XBMC and believe that will
> be the way I go.
>
> Hardware wise, I really like the Acer Aspire Revo as was featured in the
> Lifehacker article:
> http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-silent-standalone-xbmc-media-center-on-the-cheap
>
> I'm just not overly confident about adding a USB device for my TV viewing.
>
> I'm looking for this to be a Christmas build so if anyone has
> suggestions I would appreciate the input.
>
> Thanks all.

I think it's a great combination.  Came to that conclusion after trying
the live CD.  I've been trying to get this going over the last couple
weeks.  I really like the XBMC interface and its support of UPNP with
myth  is great.  My favorite feature is how it arranges all videos,
either mythtv, mythvideo and local sources into a single tree.  I've
been trying to get 9.04.1 going on my gentoo box.  It compiles and
starts up fine, but no audio, except for audio from the user interface
itself.  No audio from the video or audio media. Depending on the
configuration it says that it failed to initialize the audio device,
which is odd, because the UI sound effects work.  Haven't gotten back to
it.  I thought of giving Mythtv 0.22 a try, but haven't had time.  Work
always get in the way of living doesn't it!

The USB device would go in the mythtv backend, I don't think XBMC
supports any tuners natively.