[ale] help me convert a non-believer

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 11:09:12 EST 2009

Asher Vilensky wrote:
<snipped>
> /so, I'm reading in the Mint forum and folks are talking about what they
> did to get wireless working on their Dell 1525 which has a Broadcom chip
> that someone only wrote a replacement for back in Sept. And I can't make
> heads or tails of
> it....grrr...http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download...down at the
> Bleeding Edge area, talks about tarballs etc...Be sure you have your
> kernel headers installed first...WTF ?!?!/
>

> Anybody have any advice?
> (Sorry, I haven't done any leg work myself....family issues...)

you will need an Ubuntu/Mint person to verify, but in Debian you can use
Module Assistant to help through this.

sudo aptitude install module-assistant

then do something like:

sudo m-a

and follow the prompts.  i'm not familiar with the broadcom driver, can
it use fw-cutter?

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/