[ale] help me convert a non-believer

Asher Vilensky ashervilensky at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:36:25 EST 2009

I finally convinced one of my Windoaz friends to try Linux (he got tired of
his daughter trashing Vista and he has to deal with it).  Anyway, I
recommended Mint.  The poor guy is running into problems with the wireless
recognition.  Here's a quote:

*Well, I can't get it connected via wireless...wired is fine, and the router
DHCP list shows it, but it won't connect...*

*so, I'm reading in the Mint forum and folks are talking about what they did
to get wireless working on their Dell 1525 which has a Broadcom chip that
someone only wrote a replacement for back in Sept. And I can't make heads or
tails of it....grrr...http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download...down at
the Bleeding Edge area, talks about tarballs etc...Be sure you have your
kernel headers installed first...WTF ?!?!*

Anybody have any advice?
(Sorry, I haven't done any leg work myself....family issues...)

-- Asher