[ale] Ubuntu Compiz and Lockups

Robert Coggins ale at cogginsnet.com
Thu Nov 5 13:39:03 EST 2009

Hello,

I am stronly considering moving away from Ubuntu due to not being able
to run compiz without it locking up or rebooting X.  Everythign works
fine on my Lonevo T61 with nvidia card while compiz is turned off.  I
know it is a petty thin but it irritates me that I can't use something I
really like without worrying about losing work.

My question is this:  Having any of you switched distro and had issues
like this resolved?  Should I be concerned that compiz is the problem or
compiz on ubuntu?

I am thinking about going to Fedora, but one of the things I like about
Ubuntu is that if I need to install something I just run apt and there
it is.  Had Fedora become any better with yum about getting things
installed or do I still have to fight with dependencies as much as I
used to?

Any other thoughts?

Rob