[ale] Cantor - a new math equation gui front end

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:20:12 EST 2009

I wish that tool had been around when I was running the physics labs
at Emory. For basic student equations it's pretty easy to learn enough
to make a nice printing equation for later viewing.

MathML is pretty sad. To bad the web designers got all jazzed about
being able to insert pop-ups and flash applets and the like and forgot
that the core of the intertubes was communication and not sales.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sweet! It's _almost_ enough to make me switch over to KDE for!
>>
>> It never ceases to amaze me that http was CREATED by physicists and
>> they still have crappy tools to send real math concepts. Canto looks
>> like a nice step up.
>
> For some reason I recently ran into the ascii mathML project:
> http://www1.chapman.edu/~jipsen/mathml/asciimath.html
>
> It's pretty slick.  It's javascript that turns simple ascii (kinda
> dumbed down TeX) into MathML with is the hurribly ugly standard for
> math in HTML.  Check out the examples at the bottom of that link.
>
> Cantor looks nice, too.
>
> Michael
>
> Michael

James P. Kinney III