[ale] gpg "socket" question...

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Nov 3 13:55:00 EST 2009

When I generated my gpg keys for the Nov. 19th signing
they were saved (by default) in my ~/.gnupg directory.
I then tried to move the .gnupg/* files to a USB key
that I've set aside for securely storing these files.

Everything copied over except the S.gpg-agent, which
cp refused work with because it is a "socket".  Haven't
run across this one before and man pages on socket, cp
and mv aren't being much help.

Questions are:

-- Is it important for the socket file be in the
".gnupg/" directory to allow access and use of
the key files stored there?   (Assuming YES here...
at least for any mail programs, etc. that I may want
to access and use the keys.)

-- Is there a way to copy or move a socket file like
S.gpg-agent to a new location?

I can always just create a symlink for .gnupg that
points to a target directory and re-generate my keys,
but I'm just curious if it's necessary or if there
is a simpler way.

Thanks!
peace
aaron