[ale] OT: [Hardware Vendor Recommendation]

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Wed May 27 11:33:15 EDT 2009

We are looking to purchase some hardware to server as a "channel player"
for our new wall-mounted display units in our new building. We will have
approximately 14 of these units in total. We are planning on using a
product from Visix (http://www.visix.com) to do this. Its Windows based
and that decision isn't going to change most likely.

However, the hardware service we hvae been getting from the company that
is re-selling Visix sucks. They shipped us the wrong evaluation hardware
initially ( a desktop unit when we requested rackmount) and then the
first unit that we bough showed up DOA. Instead of simply replacing the
uniit, they wanted to ship us parts. Parts! The damned thing didn't even
give a green light when powered on. I don't want to have to play field
engineer. I want you to get me a working unit!

Anyway, we've got the specs on the unit and I'd like to know if anyone
can recommend a vendor that can build us one of these units and give us
hardware warranty and all that jazz. Yes, we can do it ourselves but we
would rather not.

Intel Pentium E5200 2.5 GHz
512 MB PC2-5300
80 GB HardDrive SATA2 8MB 7200rpm
2U 19” rackmount case with 460W PowerSupply
Hauppauge PVR 150 PCI (not pci-express)
Motherboard w/ onboard Intel GMA 3100 video

This unit is basically a glorified myth tv box for a rack.

Any recommendations you have are much appreciated.