[ale] tech "magic"

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 26 22:07:30 EDT 2009

Everyone here has had it happen. Something fails and you get called to
"take a look at it". You get there. take it and it isn't working. So
you methodically take it apart, inspecting everything alonmg the way
looking for failure points and find

nothing

it all looks fine

So you start testing a few thing as you put it back together.

all the parts work correctly even though 20 minutes ago they were all
totally dead

Finally you plug in the reassembled device and it comes up normally
and works perfectly.

The 3Com switch I noted last Thursday that likely had a dead power
supply just ran me through that exact process. It works fine now.
Power supply puts out a rock solid 14V (no load) and 12.01V at 10A
load. All the fans work just fine.

At least I don't have to explain "what I fixed" in an invoice...

James P. Kinney III