[ale] laptop advice needed

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu May 21 17:23:11 EDT 2009

Richard Bronosky wrote:

> The only Linux laptop advice I can give is buy one that comes with
> some form of linux. Otherwise you're likely to spend months on
> sleep/suspend, wireless, and video issues. It doesn't have to come
> with your distro of choice. If the OEM got Linux to work, so can you.

You have to be careful. Sometimes the OEM has little experience with
linux and didn't really get it to work. Just google for eee pc wireless
and look at the complaints.

I think Dell has done a good job supporting Ubuntu on their laptops. You
can get the Inspiron 15N ($374), Mini 9 ($264), or 1330N ($834) with an
integrated webcam. You can configure the 15N pretty nicely for around $500.

http://dell.com/ubuntu

All the best,
Brian Pitts