[ale] [ANNC] ALE CENTRAL for Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed May 20 13:56:36 EDT 2009

It's not so much how much resources each app uses but how much of the
SAME resources they use at the SAME time.  I've seen systems brought to
their knees by something like:

while true
do ls -lR /
done

Each invocation of the ls uses very little resource by itself but
cumulatively they are using the SAME resources at the SAME time.

I've also seen multiple users running the same thing drag a system to
its knees.  I worked at an organization where we create a "Performance
and Scalability" environment that had been tested and tweaked over a
period of months.  After go live it began crawling despite all the
testing that had indicated it should scream.   I found no less than 30
users running "top" and another 20 running the horribly written script
for checking the Maestro (Tivoli nowadays) job scheduler.   Stopping all
of that and only having the people who were responsible run the tools
resolved that.  It was rather gratifying as it let me show something I'd
been complaining about for some time to the director.