[ale] [ANNC] ALE CENTRAL for Thursday, May 21, 2009

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed May 20 13:32:29 EDT 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> emacs by default runs slower due to overall system usage. 3 developers
> on a single-core Xeon running emacs can bring a 2GHz machine to it's
> knees....

Maybe if they're also browsing with Firefox while editing. Seriously, on
the resource-bloat index, Emacs barely shows up when compared to many
much-more-popular apps.

On my development machine I've had both FF and XEmacs up for several
days. At the moment, FF is using 487MB of RAM and 18% of the CPU; XEmacs
13MB and 0%.  FF has 13 tabs open, XEmacs is editing 23 buffers and
running a custom time-tracking app I wrote in elisp. (Note that FF
is a critical development tool -- without regular infusions of XKCD
and Balloon Juice my productivity would plummet!)

Just injecting some actual data...

> <ducks and runs>

...but can't hide!

-- JK