[ale] [OT] Date change proposal

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:34:27 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

>> I would like to propose a new calendaring scheme based around an
>> event that represents a human milestone achievement. Granted is
>> tied to the accomplishments of a single country but it is clearly a
>> global, human event.
>
> Easy.  2009.01.20

Hmm. There are many worldwide who would support that date as a great
new calendar point (as do I). Yet, I still see that as a recurring
event in human history that is not a fundamentally new human
achievement. We have had many politically corrective actions in
history. But I tend to see the milestone events as based on
intellectual progress that results in a dramatic change in viewpoint,
living conditions or other "advance the species" process. The
2009.01.20 date is a milestone in that it marks a return from hubris
and a globally enforced "our way or the highway" back to a more
pragmatic "we all live here in each others backyard" viewpoint.

Here's to the hope that this change in viewpoint will result in
another milestone in human development that is on par with humans
setting foot on a non-earth rock.

>> In 1969 of our current counting practice, humans first set foot on
>> a non-terrestrial object, the Moon.
>
> Hmmm.... that WOULD make me younger, so if 2009.01.20 is out, I'll second for
> 1969.07.20

GONG!! It won't make you any younger (nor me!). It'll just make us
born before the dawn of time :-)

James P. Kinney III