[ale] [OT] Date change proposal

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Jan 28 13:39:23 EST 2009

I'm guessing whatever "milestone" event you come up with there will be
those who challenge its validity.  The flat-earthers would certainly
deny that the moon landing.  Also since that was an American event there
would be those who would argue against its use for political reasons.

Also if it were more than about 6,000 years ago there would be those who
would argue such a date never existed since they *know* the world is
only that old.

If we're going to go to a significant event why not the big bang?  (Of
course, we'd have to ignore the objections mentioned above.)  I think it
would be interesting to write a date like 15,123,457 every time I wrote
a check.  Also it would help to cure the recession because it would give
an impetus like Y2K to insure everything went to much larger date
fields.  :-)

I do agree that it has always struck me as silly to call the start of
winter the start of a "new" year.  Start of spring makes much more
sense.