[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Tue Jan 27 15:22:48 EST 2009

Okay, I am chiming in late on this thread.

To answer the original question, "is anyone using Bacula?", yes we have some clients that asked for such.  Not too bad, takes some getting use to, and if you have the passwords out of sync somewhere a pain to trouble shoot where that happened.  Aside from that, no major problem.  This is Bacula on CentOS, Ubuntu, and Windows Server systems for reference.

What do we prefer though you might ask?  Well, Amanda (Community version) and Zmanda (Enterprise version).  Why?  Because one does not need Amanda to restore a backup (file or tape) since it uses PGP and bzip2 or gzip (your preference).  To compare, Bacula needs Bacula to restore from a backup which we saw as a possible "con" or negative.  Additionally, Zmanda allows one to backup to the Amazon S3 Cloud which for some of our clients with multiple GBs of daily increments (medical based clients for those wondering)...this saves on definite tape expenses.  So those were nice "pro" points.

Just some food for thought.  If folks want more or even some Zmanda licenses (Linux ETC is a Zmanda reseller) feel free to email me directly off list.

--- Crawford
Linux+, LCP, RHCT, LPIC-1

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court