[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Brandon Colbert colbert.brandon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 14:42:03 EST 2009

Here is what our solution is going to be. I sold the idea now it is
implementation time. LOL

5. *Enterprise Backup Solution* - http://bacula.org/en/

This concept is an industry standard that is used in an enterprise
environment that has 20 or more servers.

Three hardware components are involved in this process: server, 12-bay
storage, 4 bay storage. The server will run an Open Source Enterprise backup
software that consists of a SQL database that keeps track of the data. It
emails and provides detail reports daily. The software uses the storage pool
concept like the commercial applications. The 12 bay RAID storage will
always been online and serve as the main online storage for the backup
solution. The 4 bay storage will not be in a RAID set (JBOD), and it will be
treated as tape(off-line). When the server makes the off-site copy to that
storage pool it writes it to one of the 4 drives. Once all the drives are
full they can be taken out (hot-swapping online), and replaced with new
ones. The hard disks will be taken to a fire proof safe deposit box at a
bank. The bank will provide higher security, and will compensate [Company
Name] if the data is stolen. The other servers will run a backup client that
will communicate to the server when it needs a restore or backup. Backup
schedules can be set for the all clients.

 *Cost Estimate:*

*OFF-LINE Storage*

SC-ESATA-PCIE2 image

Silicon Image 2-Port eSATA RAID Controller SC-ESATA-PCIE2 44.00

1U Rackmount SATA Port Multiplier Enclosure w/4 trays SC-SAT4PM1U 469.00

4TB = 540.00

Total = 1053.00

 Hard Disk: 135.00 1TB

 *ON-LINE Storage*

12-bay 2U SAS/SATA Rackmount JBOD w/Redundant 500W PSU SC-SAT122URD with
expander 1800.00

Areca ARC-1680ix-8 SAS RAID Controller SC-ARC1680ix-8 739.00

1m External MiniSAS Cable SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 SAS-8888-1M 47.00

6TB = 820.00

Total = 3406.00

 Grand Total = 4459.00