[ale] Backups (What are you using?)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:55:07 EST 2009

I'm surprised no one has added the "I don't do backups 'cause all the
important stuff is in-my-head/hardcopy".

NASA has a truly horrid backup problem. They have so much data that
the media is beginning to fail before they can get back around to
transfer it to another format. There is stuff from the early Mercury
and Gemini days that is not searchable as it is on paper (that is
rotting away - pre acid-free days) and much of the moon landing data
that is electronic is on tape media with no remaining drives that
function.

Imagine needing to backup dozens of TB that is readable at only 2-3Kb/s!

2009/1/26 Brandon Colbert <colbert.brandon at gmail.com>:
> All,
>
> Today I proposed a new backup solution using Bacula. Does anyone have Bacula
> deployed in their environment? I just wanted to see what everyone else is
> using.

James P. Kinney III