[ale] fedora 10- can't get past grub

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Jan 24 10:30:39 EST 2009

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 10:01:51 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:

> well, I switched BACK to Ubuntu for NOW, but I might want to try out
> Fedora 11 alpha when it comes out soon.. so I can look at ext4
> filesystems.. on my laptop, I installed fedora 9, then upgraded to
> fedora 10. I can't remember exactly how I shut it down, but I think I
> just said shutdown from the menu.

mkfs.ext4 comes with Ubuntu; you can use it once you install a 2.6.28
kernel, which you can pretty well easily do in Intrepid.

The NVIDIA driver even rebuilds nicely for it, since they updated it to
work with 2.6.28 in Intrepid.  DKMS will handle it for you.  For
anything else that DKMS manages, I would expect the same.

Unless you have some rather esoteric hardware, though, 2.6.28 will
build and install just fine; I am actually using 2.6.29-rc2 on my
Intrepid install, very happily.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.