[ale] A new web server

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:05:14 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Terry Bailey <terry at bitlinx.com> wrote:

> BTW, this problem is intermittent.

Download the 2.6.28 kernel and compile specifically for your machine.
There are numerous "gotcha's" in the 2.6.27 kernels in F10 at the
moment. I also suspect a flaky router at an ISP. Run tcpdump on the
web port on both ends of the connection (server and client). If the
transfer byte count differs, call and send the logs to the ISP network
engineering team for both the server and client ends.

Also test the same page multiple times and flush the browser cache
after each attempt. If the missing parts are inconsistent, that
further suggests router problems.

Last test: run memtest on the server. I can't count the number of
problems that go away when the system passes all memtest trials. Ram
just a tad flaky is OK for clients but a nightmare to debug on
servers. The only thing memtest can't do is run the hard drives full
steam during the ram tests. This will also stress test the power
supply than can also cause intermittent ram issues.

James P. Kinney III