[ale] A new web server

Sean C. McCord scmlist at cycoresys.com
Sun Jan 18 19:51:01 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:50:29PM -0500, Terry Bailey wrote:
> The last time I installed Fedora, which was Fedora 9, there were no
> questions about a firewall.  This time when I installed Centos 5.2,
> it was necessary to answer a few questions about the software
> firewall which I suspect is iptables.

This is purely a difference in the installer.  I assure you that Fedora
9 also had iptables, as have every kernel in 2.4.x and 2.6.x.  It may
not have been used, but there is nothing new about it.

> I wonder if it is a
> firewall  problem?  But you would think that if it was firewall, then
> the page would still not come down on  a browser refresh.

Correct.

> I think
> you are right in thinking that it is an OS problem.  All the
> directories are 755.

I cannot imagine an OS problem which would cause something like this,
but I suppose anything is possible.

> I tested it with a web page with no graphics and this time, it loaded
> immediately.  The code in the access_log was 200

To try to put succinctly what we were asking for:

Can you post the access_log and error_log for requests in both of the
following cases:
a)  the image did _not_ load
b)  the image did log (on browser refresh or whatever)

This includes the log for the web page, itself, as well as the image (if
existent).