[ale] Thumb drive games

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Jan 15 06:26:07 EST 2009

On Wed January 14 2009, Preston Boyington wrote:
> yep.  there are two utilities i use, but they are both Windows based.
> the "U3 uninstall" gets rid of that crap and there is also the "HP
> bootable flash utility" (which has worked on all drives i have tried).
I just used that u3 removal tool last night. I have a 2Gb Sandsk Cruiser that
got hosed.. XP/Debian both saw the stick inserted, but both gave errors on
the disk, no capability to write to it at all. Wiped it, now I have 2Gb of
useable USB space.

> my current favorite to install on the drive is Dreamlinux.  i boot the
> LiveCD and it has a tool that images the thumb drive for me.

I'll probably wait for the nw Ubuntu version, it has the capability to create
a bootable USB in the menus..
I will also put in a plug for System Rescue CD. I booted it recently to pull
photos off of a dieng HD. A friend gave me the CPU that wouldn't boot,
wouldn't even go through POST. Without the drive, the CPU would boot a
regular CD. So I added the drive to my test box, booted the rescue CD, ran
ntfs-3g /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb
and copied as many files as I could get to, to my thumb drive.
lots of empty zero-byte files, but I did pull off 400 Mb of photos..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800