[ale] OT: laser printer cartridges

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 12 16:32:27 EST 2009

ALErs -

I plan to refill my Samsung 2010 cartridge - toner is cheap and the drum
is still fine. My one reservation is unknown toxicity of the toner powder
- I'll wear a dust-filter mask (along with my customary tinfoil hat). I'll
probably work outside on a calm day, too, attenuating the wrath of H*ll
from my SO in case of spills.

I've bought refilled cartridges from Total Laser Care in Doraville for
several years. They have generally been fine and the savings are
significant. One is for our Canon copier (PC6re?) which is not a very
common type: those are handled on an "exchange only" basis. I have had one
or two somewhat dim units, but cranking the print density up always got me
good results and acceptable service life. TLC claims they fill to the max.
manufacturer's level for the physical carrier, whether or not it was
originally sold as a "starter" or lower-level model. This has been true
for those I purchased.

  - Mills