[ale] OT: laser printer cartridges

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:50:18 EST 2009

Newer HP printers (both inkjet and laser) have date coding on the
consumables. his blocks using refilled/remanufactured supplies. The date
code gets set when first installed. I was able to get around "expired" parts
for a while by resetting the system date on the printer to earlier than the
cartridge date.

HP and Lexmark are now in the same toilet.

Brother does not date code their tanks. My HL-4070 color laser printer has
less expensive toners than HP and a drum unit that lasts longer and costs
less than the tonor/drum lifespan combo of HP. They have a giant size black
one for a bit more with much more life.

Plus double-sided print. Envelopes require a fiddle with the rollow
seperation but that's a simple lever setting behind a door.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Sean <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> My HP laser needs new color carts. and HP wants nearly $100 apiece.
>
> OUCH!
>
> Wandering around the web, I see a number of remanurfactured carts.
> available. I have found "New, not in original box" from Amazon at $250
> and "remanufactured" for $175. All these are sets of four, but I can
> always use an extra black cart.
>
> Anybody have any advice on using "remanufactured" laser toner
> carts.? Anybody to stay away from?
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III