[ale] OT: top-posting

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Wed Jan 7 13:24:54 EST 2009

> We have a sales-rep that sent me this response today in regards to
> a link I sent him that top-posting is "bad".
>
> The link you sent me is one opinion but I think top posting is the
> only way to go since the rest of the Microsoft world does it that
> way. And, if we like it or not, they are the top dog in the
> business world. Sounds like The Butter Battle Book written by Dr.
> Seuss to me.

He's a sales weasel; what do you expect?  My dog is smarter.

However, my preference is NOT to top post unless the person is clueless like
your sales monkey, or I only have a line or two or an acknowledgment to add to a
fairly large (often larger than one paragraph).

That means I prefer to post INLINE unless the email is short enough or doesn't
have enough material to inline post such as this email.

By the way, I prefer to read either inline or bottom posting because I can jump
in at any moment instead of having to either read upside down or go back to the
original post.  When I open a lengthy thread to which I am an active member I
simply automatically go to the bottom by hitting the END key.

However, most clueless Windoze people (the vast majority, I'm afraid) have been
programmed by Outlook Express and Outlook to have HTML automatically on and the
preview pane open.  In fact M$ vigorously preached why the sheeple WANT and
SHOULD use HTML email as well as the preview pane... so much so that they made
it nearly impossible to turn off HTML and turn off the preview pane.  The
preview pane, incidentally, is why so many dolts in the M$ think that top
posting is how it is supposed to be done (sort of like eating with a fork with
the tines pointed UP.  ;c)

You may add my rubber worm to your collection,
R~