[ale] Upgrade Has Caused A Downgrade

Gene Poole gene.poole at macys.com
Mon Jan 5 12:07:12 EST 2009

All,

I've just experienced one of the most unnerving situations.  I've a custom
built machine that WAS running the following:
       ECS GeForce 6100SM-M mother board
       AMD 64 X2 5600+
       4GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
       nVidia GT7300 PCIE 256MB video card
       2 - SATA Hard drives; 1 - 320 GB WD and 1 - 500GB Seagate
       550 watt Antec power supply
       Fedora 9 x86_64 with all of the latest patches

As my Xmas present I upgraded the machine to:
       Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 mother board
       AMD Phenom Quad core 9550
       8GB RAM DDR2 800 Mhz
       Retained the video card from above
       2 - SATA Hard drives; 1 - 500 GB Seagate and 1 - 1TB Seagate
       850 watt Antec power supply

I attempted to install, from the same DVD used on the original machine,
Fedora 9 x86_64 with 4 failures at just about the same place while
installing packages.  I used my i386 Fedora 9 DVD and all went well during
the install so attempted to do a upgrade to x86_64 without luck.  I did a
test using my Fedora 8 x86_64 DVD and it installed perfectly.  I then
attempted to do a upgrade to Fedora 9 without any luck (it appeared to
fail at about the same place).  I then downloaded and burned another copy
of the Fedora 9 x86_64 DVD, checked it and attempted to do another install
and one again it failed at about the same place.

What could possibly be happening?  I since reinstalled Fedora 8, but that
has reached it's E-O-L. Should I just attempt to go to Fedora 10 x86_64?
Should I have entered something in the boot parameters concerning the
additional memory?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks,
Gene Poole