[ale] REsigned: New Distros, X11 Blues

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 4 14:51:22 EST 2009

ALErs -

Out of curiosity (and because I had already burned the DVD &8-) I gave
openSuSE-11.1 a spin. After a clean installation and a very minimum of
flailing around on my part, I ended up with a sharp and stable X11 at the
1440x900 resolution of my Samsung LCD, and lots better character formation
than my aged FC3. I have had some quibbles about openSuSE's setup as a
build platform, but I continue to have good luck with their installers.
('eWeek' also liked SuSE-11.1 as a development and server setup - I dunno
yet for the first and don't plan on the second.)

>From the office/desktop viewpoint, I got current, solid openOffice-3.0.0.9
and GIMP-2.6.2, and excellent voice quality with Skype and the built-in
audio.

I'm going to run this a while and see how I like it overall.

Thanks for the suggestions and information, and Happy New Year!

  - Mills