[ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Apr 20 22:26:41 EDT 2009

> Yeah, I used to dial up mindspring over the IR connection on my
> powertel phone. I was lucky to get 9600 baud, but it was amazing 10

I never got an IR one to work well. Seems I'd bump the laptop or
something..

For work, we have a Verizon USB (airprime) modem that works really well,
we pass it around a lot amoung 3 of us. Depending on who is doing what.
One of our laptops has "dnsmasq" providing DHCP server and DNS,
and with a few iptables rules, makes a great router/AP for all
of us when travelling together.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=346

is something worth travelling with as well.. Amazing the places
(hotels, etc..) I can leach an internet connection via cat5
with this thing, and then go sit down and surf without a wire.
(yes, I ask, and don't expose their network)