[ale] NewbieQs on 'tethered' net connections

Mon Apr 20 22:00:11 EDT 2009

Yeah, I used to dial up mindspring over the IR connection on my
powertel phone. I was lucky to get 9600 baud, but it was amazing 10
years That is not something you should endure today. With the same
amount of effort you could get something worthy of today.

On 4/20/09, Mike Harrison <meuon at geeklabs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>
>> 1. Who is your phone provider?
>> 2. Absolutely not. Voice traffic is compressed in such a way that you
>> would never want to try to use a modem over it.
>
> Depending on model of phone, and compression method/ratio in the cell you
> are in at the time, it works. Heck, I can get it to work in places
> you would be suprised a cell phone works at all.
>
> A lot of (higher end) older cell phones had a modem you could attach to
> via serial cable (and then later, USB) that actually took "at" commands and
> would
> connect to wherever you called. Often the connections were poor.. 9600
> baud was common.. but they worked.
>
> Turn off loading graphics and javascript, and web browse like it's 1994. :)
>
> But then, I'm the kind of crazy person that just shipped a couple of
> ancient livingston Portmasters and analog modem racks...

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.