[ale] Ubuntu 7.10 -> 8.04

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Sep 29 07:44:48 EDT 2008

jtholmes wrote:
> It is stable, in fact 8.10 is about to be released
> in October.
>
> I can't speak to upgrades, I never upgrade.
> I only do new installs.
> I keep my important files on another machine
> and copy them once I have completed the
> new install.
> Some of the messages I have read indicate
> that some folks have problems with upgrading, others don't,
> go figure.
> However, the Ubuntu team has done a great job
> in the area of upgrades and most of the problems
> appear to be minor.
>
> jt
>
> Björn Gustafsson wrote:
>
>> Has anybody out there upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 recently?  My
>> machine's update manager keeps taunting me that there's a new major
>> version, and I'm tempted to use the "automatic" upgrade.
>>
>> More generally, does 8.04 look pretty stable these days?  I had heard
>> about some problems with it early on, but haven't been paying that
>> much attention lately.

I attempted an upgrade from 6.06 on multiple systems but that failed
miserably.  Can't comment on 7.10 upgrade but on my Compaq laptop
running 8.04 I have never been able to successfully get either the
wireless ethernet card nor the Verizon aircard working successfully.  I
even purchased the Linuxant driver but it doesn't work either.  I think
the kernel is seriously broken, but the developers don't seem to care.
They closed the bugs as fixed even though people were still reporting
the fix didn't work on their systems.

Jim.