[ale] mixing mailbox and maildir with dovecot

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Thu Sep 11 05:16:43 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm using dovecot as an IMAP server and my email program is
> Thunderbird.  I have a ~/mail folder full of mailbox files.  I would
> like to try and create maildir mailboxes under ~/mail but am not sure
> about how to do that.  Can I have both? Or do I need to convert all my
> mailbox files into maildir?

No idea if Tbird or IMAP make a difference, but with KMail and POP you can
mix them with no problem.

Started with mbox being the default six years ago, and at some point
maildir became the default for all new folders. Then made the discovery
that maildir is slow as molasses once you get over a hundred thousand
emails. (Moving back ups on the LAN, not the operation of KMail) Have now
switched the largest folders back to mbox for this reason.
--
William