[ale] In case you thought we _weren't_ living in a William Gibson novel...

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 12:47:13 EDT 2008

A quote from the OLPC mailing list...

***
Oh, some more observations slightly off-topic:

Here in Manila, internet cafe rates are now cheap due to extreme
popularity and proliferation. You can go surfing or playing LAN games
for 20 Pesos/hour which is about 42 cents. Going home, I pass through
a depressed area and there are 5 internet cafes in there.

I've seen 6-8 year old street children in groups of about 3, pooling
together money to play 3D realtime strategy games like the newest
command and conquer or counterstrike and take turns at the seat
playing in cafes playing. They have absolutely no problem navigating
windows.

Hole in the Wall project all over again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimally_Invasive_Education
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/mar2000/nf00302b.htm

Only this time they're playing counterstrike and blowing up tanks in
complex 3D RTS games :-/

****

Kids today, they grow up in a Different World.

-- CHS